The Physical Education program at Hyla Middle School is designed to develop physically educated students who are prepared to address their fitness needs both now and in the future. The program fosters an appreciation for physical activity and the importance of a sound mind and healthy body. Students are provided with experiences that help to develop self-esteem, cooperation, self-discipline, and sportsmanship. Twice weekly, students in grade level physical education classes explore health and fitness through a range of activities including team sports and outdoor recreation. In addition, students have the opportunity to choose from a variety of elective PE classes offered by the faculty. These choices tend to reflect the individual interests of teachers and may include ultimate frisbee, rock climbing, yoga, running, and biking.
Physical Education is an interdisciplinary course designed to promote the development of healthy individuals. Students are challenged in the following areas:
Knowledge & Skills
- Students demonstrate competency in movement patterns (for example, hand and foot dribbling).
- Students develop knowledge of basic rules and strategies of games and sports (soccer, basketball, football, lacrosse, and track and field).
Physical Activity & Health
- Students develop an understanding of the importance of healthy lifestyles..
- Students demonstrate proper safety procedures with equipment.
- Students develop positive self-management and social skills necessary to work independently and with others.