Choosing an independent school education represents a significant joint financial commitment by the school and its families. Hyla Middle School intends to serve a diverse student body, and the school has committed funds to help ensure this goal. Typically 20 to 25 percent of our families use our financial aid resources to help pay tuition costs. Financial aid offers are made within a few weeks of acceptance.
Financial Aid is awarded to families who demonstrate need through an independent agency, called School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS), as service of the National Association of Independent Schools, of which Hyla is a member. This service is used by independent schools nation-wide to determine what portion of tuition a family can pay. SSS sends their analysis directly to Hyla. These estimates guide our distribution process to help us make fair and objective financial aid decisions.
Regardless of SSS’s analysis, we ask all families to contribute at least 25% of tuition; in limited cases of extreme need where this requirement is prohibitive, applicant families may request additional support from a limited pool of funds designated for this purpose. Please contact our Interim Head of School, Paul Carroll, to initiate this process (email@example.com).
The school’s financial aid committee confidentially handles the financial aid review. Admissions decisions are need-blind, which means they are made independently of financial considerations; the admissions committee does not receive a list of names of those students applying for financial aid. Your financial information and financial aid status are not shared with anyone other than the financial aid committee.
To apply for Financial Aid for the 2017-2018 school year
Please go the SSS website (http://sss.nais.org) and complete these steps using the school code 4053:
- Please complete and submit your Parent Financial Statement (PFS) through SSS by February 27, 2017. Applications are submitted through a secure website online at http://sss.nais.org.
- Submit copies of the following tax forms either to Hyla, or through SSS:
- Household’s 2015 federal W-2 forms, tax return(s), and supporting schedules by February 27, 2017.
- Household’s 2016 Federal W-2 forms by February 27, 2017.
- Household’s 2016 Federal tax return(s) and supporting schedules by June 15, 2017.
- Information about any special circumstances that the school should consider may be shared with our Head of School – via meeting, letter, email, and/or in the “explanatory notes” sections of the PFS.
While the school makes considerations for separated or divorced parents, financial circumstances of both natural parents and related spouses/partners, if any, will be considered, and the above information is requested of them as well.